Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mistakes

A few days ago Bridger was doing some equations in a math workbook. We're not doing math in a systematic, now-we're-going-to-sit-down-and-do-math way, but he had expressed interest in doing more math, so I'd picked the book up for him, along with a preschool math book for Cass which she tore through with relish.

Bridger realized he'd made a mistake on one of the equations, and because he was using crayon, he couldn't obliterate the offending error.

"That's it. I've ruined the whole page. I might as well rip it out and throw it in the trash," he said.

When he is so hard on himself about mistakes, it's hard for me to stay calm and relaxed, in part because I can so relate to that kind of either-or, all-or-nothing, it's-either-perfect-or-it's-shit thinking. I can see from my own experience that life is so much easier and more productive, so much more fun, when I can see mistakes as a natural part of any learning process, any life experience, really. I wish I could wave a magic wand and give him the perspective on mistakes I'm beginning to have at 40 so that he doesn't have to suffer through mistakes so much.

But deep down, I'm realizing that he's going to have to come to his own reckoning with imperfection. All I can do is hold him as compassionately as possible through his struggles and successes and try to remember to model healthy ways of dealing with mistakes (I am, after all, the woman who said the other day, "I feel like a dummy" when I realized I'd made a scheduling mistake that was going to inconvenience another person. And I said it in earshot of Bridger. Oops.).

When Bridger was feeling frustrated about the math book, I put my hand on his shoulder and said, "You know, the whole point of doing equations in a math book like you're doing is that it gives you opportunities to make mistakes, and that's how you can learn. If you don't ever try them, you don't get the chances to make mistakes."

He didn't have any "A-ha!" moment that freed him from perfectionism forevermore. At least, I don't know if he did. As I once remarked to him, he and Cassidy are sort of like icebergs for me--I see only a small fraction of who they are, and so much of who they are is a hidden mystery. He did close the book without ripping out the page and throwing it in the trash, though.

It struck me later that if there's any gift our homeschooling choice offers our kids, it's that attitude, or at least my heartfelt attempt at that attitude: that mistakes can be opportunities for learning and growth. At school, I suspect, many good teachers try to welcome mistakes, but the pressure to see mistakes as road blocks to learning, as obstacles to be gotten around, as faults to be corrected, is systemically so great. The pressure to correct mistakes within a certain time frame makes it hard, too, to relax when mistakes come up.

I don't think homeschooling is perfect. I can't offer my kids a foreign-language immersion experience, or state-of-the-art science and art materials, or daily contact with lots of other children from a variety of backgrounds, or a feeling of being part of a school community. What I can offer is lots of reassurances, repeated over many years, that mistakes are not something we have to fear, but something we can learn, if we let ourselves, to welcome.

6 comments:

Mother of Dog said...

This is such a wonderful thing to read, Carrie. I remember how hard you were on yourself in grad school - yet you were always so talented! I'm glad you're giving Bridger the opportunity to learn that way. :)

Bay

Carrie Pomeroy said...

I hadn't connected my grad school experiences to this post, but now that you mention it, I do see the connection. I was very paralyzed by fear of making a mistake while I was in school, and as a result, I didn't write nearly as much or as freely as I wish I had. What I respected about you when we were students together was how you didn't let criticism knock you sideways (it seemed to me), but just kept working so hard, pushing yourself to take in feedback and make your work better. And it has taken you so far, Ms. Bay! Cheers to you, and thanks for your comment.

Los Pyefeld said...

Ah, a chip off the old block, then?
Don't you just love the way the universe works.

Ezra was like this with scootering a few years ago, until I took him to a skate park and showed him how the kids were falling *constantly*, over and over. I was getting really excited and saying, "look at THAT fall!" and pointing out how they were falling left and right, and getting back up and going again -sometimes they were laughing, and sometimes we were, too. After that he'd always say "Mama! I made a mistake!" in an excited voice.

Too bad there probably isn't a math observatory where you can watch a room full of kids frantically working on math workbooks and scratching out their answers!

I so so love your humble homeschooling attitude. You have nothing to prove. :)

Carrie Pomeroy said...

How wonderful to go to a skate park and celebrate and notice the spectacular falls, not just the landings they made. What a great thing to do. I'll remember that the next time we watch any athlete in action!

Los Pyefeld said...

Ooh, when you put it *that* way, it reminds me of what I was just reading this week - that to be like a shaman, you should work on noticing the spaces between objects, and the shadows of objects.

And also how Josefina was saying that when boys are playing aggressive games, they aren't *just* being agressive, they're also learning restraint. . .

Steph H. said...

Carrie

It is nice to read other Midway family and homeschooling escapades,

SCKH
MidPoint Green