Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Clearing the Table

In my ongoing quest to peacefully involve the kids in helping, one thing I decided to do was to ask that they stick around and help clear the table after meals rather than peeling off as soon as the meal is done (or sometimes before Brian and I are even done).  

This has gone surprisingly well in the week or so since we got started.  Cassidy loves opening and closing the fridge and finding the right places for the milk and the salad dressing.  Bridger has been very helpful about putting dishes in the dishwasher--not just his, but any that need putting away.  It really wasn't hard at all to start doing it, either--I just talked to the kids about how stressed out I was a week or so ago, and I said that clearing the table together was one small change that I thought would help me feel calmer.  And they understood that.  They seem so grown-up and capable to me as we all bustle around the kitchen together.  I hope that they feel their own competence growing, too.

Why did I think this was important?  I think it's a good idea for us all to get used to the idea of working together to finish a job, and to think not just in terms of "how little can I do before I take off?" but to stick with a task until it's completed.  It's just good life practice, and a practice I'm still working on at 40.  

I also think I have emphasized the kids' needs and preferences so much that I haven't always made enough room for my own.  By saying, hey, I really would like your help so I'm not left with a mound of dishes to clear and wash, I'm sending a larger message about how I want our family to work.

I've also been trying to clear my table, metaphorically speaking, in other ways.  Last week I sat down and looked at the 100s of pages I have generated on my mess of a book draft and took notes on what I actually have.  I made a month-by-month plan for how to work my way through revising this shaggy monster, so now I just have to do it.

To stay on top of that effort, one way I need to clear my table is to spend less time sending emails, posting on this blog, and trolling the Internet.  I still plan on posting here, but it will probably only be a couple of times a week.  But if you've been reading, please do keep coming! It has been nice for me to know that there are a few folks out there, reading what I have to say. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great - "clearing your table." :)

Perfect timing to get off the internet - it's SPRING!!!

Hopefully I'll see you more outside instead of online!

But keep blogging, please!

patricia said...

What's your book project?

I'm feeling some of the same "clearing off the table" urges. I'm excited about a new project of my own, and I know I need to be disciplined about making enough writing time--which means easing off the computer time.

Hope you'll share more of your progress!

Carrie Pomeroy said...

My book? Well, it's personal essays woven together into a narrative about learning to balance taking care of the kids with taking care of myself. It's about my ongoing quest to parent less out of fear of failing and more out of love and genuine attentiveness.

Thanks for asking!