Saturday, July 18, 2009

Takin' A Breather

I'm going to put this blog on hiatus at least until the end of the summer, and possibly stop doing it all together or change it a bit--as in, making it less about me and more of a true family collaboration, with more posts from my kids and husband (it is, after all, subtitled "Adventures in Family Learning.") I've so enjoyed and appreciated the give-and-take with people who have commented here and with other bloggers whose work I've gotten to know in the last few months of exploring the blogosphere. It has meant so much to me and been a huge source of encouragement and connection.

But.

My yard is so full of weeds I feel too embarrassed to have a bunch of awesome women from the neighborhood over for wine and beer around the firepit.

My husband all too often goes to bed by himself while I prowl around online so late that I'm tired and grouchy the next day.

I'm way behind on returning calls and letters to old friends and my own mom--yet I seem to find time for blog posts. Seems like a discrepancy that needs correcting.

The thought, "I wonder if anyone has commented yet on my last post?" has taken on depressingly compulsive dimensions.

My book project needs attention. When it comes to writing ideas, I find myself devoting more of my mental space to blog posts than I am to book revision. Something's gotta give.

I made a vow to start meditating every day again. Has it happened yet? Nope.

I've realized I really like the blog-type form as I've been doing it--taking small, everyday moments and trying to pull out larger meaning from them--and I'd like to find a way to do it in a less ephemeral, nebulous form, like finding a place to have a regular column with a set deadline. I'm thinking that way, I could "compartmentalize" it a little more rather than having it take over my brain so much on a day to day basis, the way blogging seems to do.

And finally--when I thought about stopping the blog, I felt a sense of relief and possibility.

That's reason enough, wouldn't you say?

This is not to say that I'm not going to miss doing it, and miss the miniature "conversations" it has sparked with you.

I'll check in at the end of August and let you know how the blog hiatus has gone, then take it from there.

5 comments:

Lynne Marie Wanamaker said...

Carrie--That you're feeling relief is information that this decision is moving you in the right direction. I'll miss you so much, though!

I decided, for myself, that my blog was going to be a weekly column. I know the shiny, popular blogs that people live off are updated everyday, but that's not my goal: I wanted to work on the craft of writing and connect with others. There have been times when even once a week seems like a burden, but for the most part it has been manageable.

You make the rules here. You will know what feels right. But please keep us informed about where we can keep reading you!

Lynne Marie

Los Pyefeld said...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Don't leave me alone out here!!!

Okay, fine.

But I hope you start up again when I move, so I can see what's goin' on.

That's a mighty fine list of excuses. . . hmmmm. I could use some of those myself.

Jill said...

Rest assured that even if there are no comments I know there are a lot of us who have read and loved every word. I love knowing what's going on with you guys and feeling like I can "check in" with you virtually. It's no window across the driveway, but I love it anyway. You do what you need to do, and we'll see ya on the flip side.

Carrie Pomeroy said...

Hey Jill, Thanks for saying so. I do like the long-distance "window across the driveway" aspect of blogging and probably will start up again for that reason--I just needed some time to straighten out my motivations for blogging and make sure it was serving my bigger goals, if you know what I mean.

Take care! We still miss you so much!

patricia said...

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get over here and see this post!

Oh, how I can relate to all of your reasons not to blog. Every last one of them. (Okay, maybe not meditation. As good as it would be for me, I know I wouldn't be able to pull it off at this point in my life.)

Blogging is a pleasure and a chore; it's invigorating and exhausting.

I'll miss your thoughtful, writerly posts while you're away. Thanks for taking the time to leave comments on my blog in the meanwhile. That's awfully generous of you--when you're supposed to be on vacation!

Looking forward to hearing what comes of your hiatus.