Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mighty Midway Love

Last night was full of bad dreams--I dreamed that the yard suddenly filled with fierce tigers, baboons, and other dangerous escaped zoo animals while Bridger was playing outside by himself. I dreamed of being unpleasantly surprised by a killer whale while paddling in a skimpy little kayak. I dreamed of walking with the kids on an unfamiliar, seedy street at nightfall and being threatened by scary teenagers with long knives. Terrifying stuff, all in one night.

But the dream that really had me in a cold sweat was the one in which we'd moved to a new house, and I suddenly realized that WE NO LONGER LIVED IN THE MIDWAY. Shudder! Gasp! The horror!

It has taken me nearly fourteen years, almost the whole time I've lived in this neighborhood, to come to this deep and tender love for my 'hood, this sense of fierce rootedness.

Some people I know here have had family in the community for generations. For others of us, though, this neighborhood was not a first-choice neighborhood. It was the compromise we came to when we realized that our first choice was out of reach. It struck me today that this may be part of why so many people who live here work so hard to make this place a good one to live, and why they feel such deep loyalty to the community once they've stayed a while--they want to make this second choice feel like it was really their first choice all along. They want to make the compromise neighborhood more like the neighborhood of their dreams. And of course, they get used to seeing the same smiles on their walks around the neighborhood, the same folks reading the paper at the library, the same families at the kids' concerts at Ginkgo and on the local playgrounds. They begin to mark the seasons by when the apple tree on the corner starts dropping its apples, when the goldenrod in their favorite native wildflower garden starts to bloom, when they can make out the strains of some Eighties hair band playing at the State Fair Grandstand on a balmy September night.

Bordered by Interstate 94 and University Avenue, with Snelling Avenue roaring right through the middle, the Midway is what many Twin Citians consider a drive-through neighborhood. I wonder if that is a part of why the people who live here fight so ferociously for the walkable amenities--like our little library--that we have. Maybe that is why they were practically rioting in the streets when a beloved neighborhood coffee shop changed hands and the new owners didn't have the same community spirit and warmth.

I'd lived in six different states by the time I was twelve, pulled from place to place by my father's rise up the corporate ladder. It wasn't until now, at age forty-one, that I finally began to feel the tug of staying put, even if the neighbors sometimes wake me at 2 AM singing on their front stoops--maybe even because they do.

6 comments:

Jill said...

I have to say that I completely second all your thoughts about dear, sweet Midway. I loved my orange house and still miss it, and even love the word Minnehaha. My current home doesn't have all the same "feel" as Midway, although it does have lots of walkable amenities. When did Ginko change hands? Do they now understand what they are dealing with?

Carrie Pomeroy said...

Oh, it wasn't Ginkgo that changed hands! Heavens no! It was J and S Bean Factory over on Thomas and Hamline, which was briefly Midway Cafe, and now is owned by people who seem to want to get to know the neighbors again and is called Groundswell Coffee.

Never fear! I suspect the same folks will own Ginkgo for a long time.

Jamie Mariaaaaaa! said...

Amber T. sent this to me because she knows I go back and forth on living in the Midway. During the fireworks season I go a little bonkers. The occasional violent crime gets to me. However, I do love my neighbors and wonder if I'll ever be able to move. -Jamie O.

Los Pyefeld said...

Funny you posted this just as I was going online to whine to a mutual friend about not EVER being able to decide where I want to live. I envy so much the people who feel "rooted." Owning a home helps, of course. I'm so happy for you! Sorry about those nightmares, though . . . you need to take those to an analyst!

Carrie Pomeroy said...

Welcome, Jamie O.! I can understand being troubled by the occasional violent crime in the neighborhood--if I or someone I was close to was directly affected, or if crime became more chronic, I'd probably feel torn, too.

Your comment reminded me, though, that I was inaccurate to generalize about the Midway being a second choice neighborhood, since for many neighbors, this community represents a real improvement from neighborhoods where violence is more of an expected fact of life, not an occasional anomaly.

Hope you'll find some peace with whatever you decide about where home is for you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.