Sunday, April 4, 2010

Watering the Seeds of Joy



Today we celebrated Buddha's birthday at the Zen Center by pouring sweet tea over a statue of the baby Buddha and chanting the Heart Sutra many, many times while everyone got their turn to give Buddha his bath, eventually leaving my kids splayed like limp noodles across my lap, mowed down by the sheer drone of it all. Bridger got to carry the little Buddha statue in to the zendo, and he was very dignified and composed, bowing at the altar without any coaching. "I helped put flowers on the pagoda, too!" he said proudly (meaning the little wooden lattice-work shelter over the Buddha statue).

The guiding teacher, Byakuren Judith Ragir, talked today about watering the seeds of joy, an image I find lovely and helpful at this time of year. She said that there are four allies of joy--generosity, beauty, simplicity, and gratitude--and urged us to watch for the times our minds turn to complaining and whining and to see if we can gently turn our gazes to one of the four allies of joy instead.

I tried it today, walking alongside Cassidy on her trike. She was scooting along very slowly, and Brian and Bridger were already at the park where I wanted to join them. I started getting agitated, thinking about all the fun I was missing with the boys at the park. Then I thought of the four allies of joy, and gratitude seemed to be a good one to try.

There was plenty to be grateful for. My daughter was healthy, getting exercise on her trike, happy alongside me if I could just stop pestering her that we were going to miss playing with Bridger and Dad if we didn't get to the park faster. The day was warm and beautiful, with green things springing out all over the place. I noticed that by walking slowly, I could get a better look at the tiny new leaves on branches, the tulip stems swelling up with flowers. I could notice the brown creeper pecking its way up a trunk, beautifully camouflaged against the rough bark. What was there to be agitated about, for goodness's sake?

The mindfulness practice for our whole Zen Center sangha this month is to water the seeds of joy through just this kind of practice. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post, Carrie--it inspired me to watch the PBS special on The Buddha last night. Wonderful! :-)

Erica Marston

Sam said...

What a beautiful reminder, thank you!

Los Pyefeld said...

Hey, where are you??

Dana Leeds said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, School For Us, about the tide pools in Monterey.

As far as where we found them... they are down the beach from the aquarium. If you look at the aquarium with the beach behind you, the tide pools were to the right. We parked near the aquarium and walked down the sidewalk to the right. Then, we found an entrance onto the beach and there were the tide pools. If you haven't been tide pooling before, I thought I should tell you to check the tide charts for low tide - the best time to go.

Have a wonderful time! We really enjoyed Monterey!