Monday, March 9, 2009

The Latest on the Library

I haven't posted in a while because I've been very busy and kind of discouraged. Well, very discouraged.  

A group of us met last week with the mayor.  He mouthed the same sound-bites he had before and refused to even consider alternatives to closing the library.  He didn't listen to the 7-year-old Girl Scout who came with us carrying the petition she'd taken to every class at her elementary school.  He didn't listen to the senior citizen and librarian of 37 years who'd actually called and talked to officials in other cities where our alternative plan had been tried and proved successful. 

It was then that we realized that he had his mind made up.  Telling him we loved and needed our library and giving him good reasons to keep it open weren't enough.

That night I dreamed that my husband was having an affair with his ex-wife.  I couldn't figure out where that dream had come from and then it hit me the next day--I felt a deep sense of disillusionment, even betrayal.  I guess I've been very sheltered, but I genuinely believed if I tried hard enough and presented good evidence, my elected leader would listen.  Maybe not do exactly what I asked, but at least listen.  But he didn't even do that.

After sinking into a funk for a few days, we recovered a little, and now we are planning a rally outside the library tomorrow, to be held right before the mayor and library director arrive to meet with the community.  We're going to be contacting city council members individually, as they might be our last hope.  I'll let you know how it all goes.  

By the way, if you have tried in the past to post a comment on this blog and not been able to, I think now you should be able to do it.  I fiddled around with the configuration of the blog or whatever and think anyone should be able to comment now.  So please do if anyone is out there!  And if you try and can't comment, let me know at my email address, carriepomeroy@tcq.net.

Also, please note the new links to blogs I like by wonderful mama writers.

No comments: