Friday, January 15, 2010

Learning How to Learn

Today the kids and I were talking about how much we'd enjoyed cross-country skiing yesterday, as written about in my previous post.

Cassidy looked at Bridger and asked, "What did you learn from doing that?", which I thought was an amazingly cool question for her to ask, and one I'd like to ask myself more often when I try something new.

"I don't know," Bridger admitted.

"Do you know how I learned to ski?" she asked him with a sly smile.

"How?"

"I watched you do it!" she told him.

Such a small moment, but for me so sweet. I loved that Cassidy shared with Bridger that he had taught her without even knowing he was doing it. I loved that she had made a discovery about how she learns best--that when she was trying something new, it helped her to watch someone else do it first and then try it out for herself. In my opinion, if she can continue to cultivate that kind of self-awareness, it will stand her in such good stead in her life. In any case, hooray that she can see things this way right now!

No comments: